(a) Books in Arabic
1. Kitab al-Tabaqat fi Khusus al-Awliy’ wa’ l-Salihin wal ‘Ulama’, wa’l Shuara fi ‘l-Sudan. A Biographical Dictionary of Sudanese Saints and Scholars, by Ibn Dayf Allah, edited and introduced, Khartoum, April, 1971.
2. Muqaddima fi Ta’rikh al-Mamalik al-Islamiyya fi al-Sudan al-Sharqi (Introduction to the History of Islamic States in the Eastern Sudan). Cairo, May, 1971.
3. Dirasat fi Tarikh al-Sudan , Volume 1 (Studies in Sudanese History), 1975.
4. Dirasat fi Tarikh al-Sudan, Bilad al- Arab Wa Afriqya. (Studies in the History of Sudan, Arabia and Africa), Volume II, Khartoum, 1989.
5. Al-Shulukh (Facial Marks in the Sudan), Khartoum, 1976.
6. Intishar al Islam fi Afriqya (Spread of Islam in Africa), 1979.
7. Tabaqat wad Dayf Allah, Al-Dhayl wa al-Takmila, (A Sequal to the Tabaqat) Co-edited with Dr. Muhammad I. Abu Salim, Khartoum, 1985.
8. The Afro-Arab Cultural Relations, Editor, Alesco, Tunis, 1985.
9. Abd al Rahman al-Mahdi, co-edited with M.I. Abu Salim, Cairo, 2001.
10. Dirasat fi tarikh al-Sudan, bilad al-Arab wa Afriqiya, 3rd vol, Khartoum 2008.
11. Hawashi wa mutun, Khartoum, 2005.
(b) Monographs in English:
12. The Arabs and the Sudan, Edinburgh University Press, 1967, Reprinted twice. Second edition is being prepared.
13. The Sudan in Africa. Edited and introduced, KUP, 1971, 2nd edition 1985.
14. Some Aspects of the Writing of History in Modern Sudan, KUP, 1979.
15. The Central Bilad al-Sudan: Tradition and Adaptation. Co-edited with Dr. Paul Doornbos, IAAS, Khartoum, 1980.
16. Sudan Notes and Records, edited volumes 48 to 64 for the years 1967-1983, and volumes 1-4 (new series), 1997-2000
17. Studies in Sudanese History, 2004.
18. Co-edited with Richard Gray, Religion and Conflict in Sudan, Pauline Publications Africa, Nairobi, 2002.
19. Published about 90 papers in Arabic and English on Sudan, Arab, African and Islamic history in learned journals.