2001-Present Professor, Faculty of Agriculture, University of Khartoum.
1999-2001 FAO Marketing Expert with the Government of Yemen.
The work is related to:
Implementing the FAO technical assistance for establishing a new assembly market for fruits and vegetables in a major agricultural area; formulating rules and regulations for running the market, formulating the management structure (Market Board and Management Staff) and specifying the job description. Establishing market Information Unit in the market.
Help government in promoting the market. Conduct Baseline Surveys to help with monitoring and evaluation of performance. Study market, and help the MIS unit with price analysis studies. Prepare a market manual to help the management in conducting the day-to-day activities. Advise the Assistant Deputy Minister for Agriculture and the Director General of the Department of Agricultural Marketing on marketing aspects and agricultural policy in general. Train the Ministry of Agriculture’s staff in marketing.
1977-1999 Associate professor and Head, Department of Agricultural Economics, Faculty of Agriculture, University of Khartoum.
The work performed relate to:
* Teach marketing, macroeconomics and agricultural finance to undergraduate and graduate students.
* Conduct research and supervise graduate students research.
* Manage the Department and attend meetings of the Faculty Board and the University Senate.
* Undertake consulting assignments related to marketing, finance, project evaluation and monitoring, with loccal and international organizations.
* Member of the Advisory committee of the Minister of Agriculture on Agricultural Policy.
1995-1997 Agricultural Marketing Expert with the Arab Bank for Economic Development in Africa (BADEA) to the government of Botswana.
The duties and responsibilities included:
* Establishing a Market Information System.
* Formulating rules regulations for a new fruits and vegetables market.
* Advise the government of Botswana on how to promote the post-harvest techniques, viz., grading, packaging, handling, etc, of fruits and vegetables to enhance their competitiveness vis-a-vis agriculture produce from South Africa and other neighboring countries, and on marketing policy in general.
* Train the Department of Agriculture’s staff and farmers inpost-harvest techniques, marketing extension, farm accounts and farm management.
1982-1995 Associate Professor and Head, Department of Agricultural Economics, Faculty of Agriculture, University of Khartoum.
Duties and responsibilities included:
Teaching, research supervision of graduate students research, management of the department and undertaking consultancy work with local and international organization.
1978-1982 Graduate student at the Ohio Stage University, USA. Studying for Ph.D. in Agricultural Economics.
Prepared thesis on, “The Optimum Size and Allocation of Oilseeds Processing Industries in Sudan” a transportation Linear Programming Model.
1974-1978 Assistant Professor of Agricultural Economics, Faculty of Agriculture, University of Khartoum.
Duties and responsibilities as described above.
1966-1974 Agricultural Marketing Officer with the Agricultural Bank of Sudan. Duties and responsibilities included:
* Fully responsible for the importation of agricultural machinery, seeds, fertilizers, jute bags, water pumps and other inputs.
* Fully responsible for the supervision of inventory of inputs and effecting delivery to prospective Bank’s clients in case of sales in cash or as loans in kind, which is one of the main activities of the Bank.
* Marketing clients produce of sorghum (dura), sesame, and cotton. This activity included storage, transportation and actual selling viz. negotiating price and entering into contracts after consultation with the farmers who are the clients.
* Purchase of stocks of dura and storing them in the Bank’s silos as buffer stock against famine and to stabilize prices.
* Advise the Board of Directors of the Bank on marketing policy.